Burton PRU is committed to ensuring equality of provision throughout the school.
We welcome our duties under the Equality Act 2010 to eliminate discrimination, advance equality of opportunity and foster good relations in relation to race, disability, sex (gender), age, religion or belief, sexual orientation, pregnancy, maternity and gender reassignment.
Within the overall framework of the School Development Plan, we formulate specific and measurable equality objectives. These are kept under review and progress reported on an annual basis.
To achieve this, our general equality objectives are as follows:
- To ensure that all students make progress including vulnerable groups.
- To ensure that there are sufficient opportunities within the school’s curriculum to address equalities issues and thus reducing prejudice and increasing understanding of equality through direct teaching and learning across the curriculum and dealing with it immediately when an issue does arise.
- To continue to ensure that displays are reflective of the school community.
- To monitor bullying and harassment of students and staff by race, disability and gender, and is this information used to make a difference to the experience of other students.
- To allow equal access to information for all parents/carers.
- To ensure the school environment is as accessible as possible to students, staff and visitors to the school.
- To eradicate prejudice related bullying in relation to the protected characteristics listed in the Equality Act 2010.